Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Remember that?

So last weekend I got to run my first race since Lily joined our family. On on our way there Kate asks if I'm going to win. Not wanting to sound negative I said, "hmmm well maybe but it's ok if I don't". Then she asked if I remembered when I won that really big race and brought a medal home. I wasn't sure which race she was talking about as I've never won one but she has cheered me on at a few. She said, "ya know when Dad brought you those socks." I was shocked - she has to be talking about a race where Ray was there too and something with socks. Well the only one that can be took place when she was 20 months old. No kidding, just over a year and half and she can remember that? I don't think we've talked about the socks since then for her just to be repeating a conversation she's heard.

So the race was my first marathon in Indiana in 2004. I had gotten a new kind of sock and was undecided about which one to go with. I think I was nervous about it being my longest race ever and paid too much attention to my socks so they of course started to bother me. So as I ran by Ray after a mile I asked him to find my other socks in the bag and have them ready next time I passed him - big mistake, don't ever do this. The next time I passed him was mile 12 and of course he was standing out in the cold with our baby girl bundled up in the stroller with my socks ready. I stopped, sat down and switched socks - again, big mistake, don't ever do this. I got up to start running and felt like weights were pulling me down. I should never have stopped. That is the sock incident. I wonder what else she remembers from so long ago. And BTW those first socks are my favorite kind to run in now.
I love good memories, so just for fun here are some pictures from that fun day - it was freezing!

We all drove from Columbus the night before and each one of these gals had little ones that our husbands each watched after in the freezing cold.
Isn't she cute?

All the after shots make me laugh because I thought I had a huge smile on my face. I remember thinking I was so happy to be done I was thrilled. But I was so tired and numb from the cold that it wasn't the big grin I thought I had!


So back to last weekend my SIL Trisch and I ran a 5K trail run. I thought it was so fun. The kids even got to jump in the fun run at the last minute. They did great and each took a medal home. My wonderful mummers watched the kids for me while I ran. There was a cut-athon going on as well that Trisch and my Mom took advantage of. For $15 you could get your hair cut and all the $ went towards a good cause.



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's amazing that Kate remembered that! That's awesome that you ran another race! Feels rewarding I bet. Nice work Krissy!!!

Lonnie said...

I love the pics from your Indiana marathon and cute Kate was so little! Can't believe she remebered the sock detail - but it kinda reminds me of Makenna, she'll pull stuff out of nowhere from years ago and shocks me with her memory. I loved seeing the pics from the 5k too - I think I might be up for the next one! You realize how amazing you are right?

Lorin said...

Wow, that's impressive that Kate could remember something from when she was so young. She has grown up so much since then. It's much more apparent when looking at photos from then and now together.

You're quite the athlete Krissy.
Kate and Jack look happy and proud with their race numbers and medals. Way to go kids!

Kenny, Tara, Ashley said...

You always amaze me with your dedication to run and stay in such amazing shape! Good for you! I hope after three kids I have as much get-up-and-go as you do!

Robin said...

Hmmm, that shirt looks familiar, but I had forgotten about that race- how the heck did Kate remember? Maybe it was frozen into her brain if it was really cold:)
Congratulations on yet another race, and I know you are just being modest and probably kicked everyone's b**t!

kp said...

Go Krissy, it's ya birthday.... I'm so proud of you for racing so soon after a new baby. Seriously, I would probably use the baby as an excuse for a couple of years :0)

Callin and Tricia said...

Way to go! It looks so fun to be doing a race right now. I love the idea of doing a race next year together. I can't believe Kate has such a good memory. What cuties! Hope you are all doing well.

Brian and Marnae Powell Family said...

um, I want to run with you next time! I bet you are faster now than when you told me a month ago that you thought you wre slow and really you were running at my "fast pace". I had no idea that was even going on, it looks like you are on the old mill bridge? I feel so left out! Just kidding, but I do want to run with you in something! I mean I would like to try and follow and keep up.